Become a Teacher
Mentoring as an Iyengar Teacher
Certified Iyengar Yoga teachers are extremely well trained. Mentorship to become a teacher is rigorous and spans a three to five year period in which teachers follow a program based on an international syllabus and standards set by Sri B.K.S. Iyengar. Throughout the course of their mentorship, teachers:
- Develop maturity in their personal practice of asana and pranayama;
- Develop a thorough understanding of the asanas and pranayamas for teaching purposes;
- Gain proficiency in teaching skills;
- Gain a basic education in anatomy;
- Develop a working understanding of the philosophical basis of Astanga Yoga in the Iyengar Method;
- Learn the various precautions that need to be followed for students with common problems;
- Practice their teaching skills under the guidance of a qualified mentor.
Prior to entering a mentorship program, a student must be a competent Iyengar yoga student who maintains a daily yoga practice.